Not-for-profit Law – National Volunteer Guide
The laws surrounding volunteering can be complex, yet volunteers are an important resource to many, if not most, community organisations.
Justice Connect – Not-for-profit Law has produced a National Volunteer Guide for use by volunteer involving organisations across Australia. It provides an overview of the key legal obligations organisations owe volunteers and provides practical examples, template documents and tips to assist in their understanding.
The Guide is divided into six parts and covers the following key issues:
- Glossary of common terms and overview
- Understanding the legal differences between a volunteer, employee and independent contractor
- Understanding your organisation’s legal obligations in relation to the safety of its volunteers
- Protecting volunteers and other people your volunteers are interacting with from unlawful workplace behaviour
- Recruiting, inducting, managing performance and ending the volunteer relationship, and Organisational issues applicable to volunteers.