Stuart Spragg, Click go the Shears, 2009
Lockhart Museum Art displayed at the Gunyah Museum.
The final round of 2013 Volunteer Initiated Museum (VIM) Grants has been completed and we’re happy to announce the 22 grant winners.
The majority of Small Grants (up to $2000) awarded were for the provision of storage materials, collection management databases and display cases with several significant conservation projects funded.
The Greens Gunyah Museum in Lockhart received funds to conserve a pastoral map which tells part of an important story about the character of rural settlements as far back as the 1840s and the changing nature of landuse. The paper and calico-backed map will be sent to Conservator Kim Morris at Art and Archival for cleaning and reinforcement. The map is similar to those used in primary schools in geography lessons of the past – stored rolled around its wooden rods and unfurled for display. The conservation treatment is critical for its long-term preservation.
The Development Project Grants (up to $7000) were awarded for exhibition development, strategic planning and for professionals to assist with skill development and collection care.
Willoughby Museum received a Development Project Grant to assist them in redeveloping two of their permanent exhibition spaces. The exhibitions will focus on Shaping Willoughby and to develop professionally printed interpretive panels and an exciting new documentary about the early settlement and industry of the Willoughby region.
Here are some quick stats to whet your appetite for applying this year:
- 22 of 43 applications were successful
- $51,436 allocated
- The funds will support the work of an estimated 585 volunteers across 21 local government areas in 11 regions of NSW.
Read on for the complete list of the VIM Grant winners for 2013.
VIM Leg-up grant is currently open.
VIM Skills Initiative grant is currently open.
VIM Development Project Grants – up to $7000
- Australian Scout Museum – Strategic Plan development
- Deniliquin Historical Society Museum – capacity building and collection care
- Murrurundi Museum – Significance Assessment
- Tongarra Museum – capacity building and documentary film development
- Willoughby Museum – exhibition development
VIM Skills Initiative Grants – up to $5000
- Bathurst Historical Society Museum – MOSAiC database training
- Goulburn Historic Waterworks Museum – MOSAiC database training for ten local museums and galleries
- Murrurundi Museum – Textiles documentation and conservation workshop for Upper Hunter museums
- Museums Australia: Central Tablelands Chapter – Significance Workshop
VIM Small Grants – Up to $2000
- Australian Country Music Hall of Fame – archival hat boxes
- Great Lakes Historical Society Museum – construction of display cases
- Greens Gunyah Museum – conservation treatment
- Illawarra Museum – archival and textile boxes
- Lawrence Museum – textile storage shelving and materials for outdoor vehicle storage
- Lithgow Small Arms Factory Museum – exhibition development
- Lithgow State Mine Heritage Park and Museum – exhibition development
- Maclean Bicentennial Museum – costume storage boxes
- McCrossin’s Mill Museum – collection management database
- Morpeth Museum – interpretive panels for exhibition
- Moruya Museum – textile storage boxes
- Mullumbimby Museum – conservation treatment
- Museum of Walcha District Historical Society – textile storage boxes and mannequins
- Nambucca Headland Museum – signage purchase
- Narromine Aviation Museum – LED lighting upgrade
- Nowra Museum – storage shelving
- Old Courthouse Museum, Batemans Bay – AV equipment for exhibition
- Port Macquarie Historical Museum – metal shelving for textile storage area
- Rockley Mill Museum – MOSAiC database
- Snowy Scheme Museum – equipment for the upkeep of vehicles in the collection
- Snowy Scheme Museum – outdoor lighting
- Sulphide Street Station Railway & Historical Museum – posters for public program display
- Thredbo Ski Museum – MOSAiC database
- Tinonee Museum – showcases
- Tinonee Museum – archival materials
- Wyalong Museum – storage shelving cabinets
- Wymah School Museum – display cases
- Yamba Museum – exhibition Development
VIM Leg Up Grants – Up to $500
- Clyde River & Batemans Bay Historical Society – Significance Assessment workshop attendance
- Dunera Museum – Access to Funding event attendance
- Fort Scratchley Historical Site – Certificate IV Museum Practice Course at Newcastle TAFE for curator
- Griffith Pioneer Park Museum – Access to Funding workshop participation
- Golden Memories Museum – Oral histories and the digital age workshop attendance
- Golden Memories Museum – MOSAiC database training
- Gulgong Pioneer Museum – MOSAiC database training
- Hay War Memorial High School Museum – IMAGinE awards event attandance
- Holbrook Submarine Museum – Standards Mid Program Workshop attendance
- Holbrook Submarine Museum – Standards Debrief and Celebration event attendance
- Kempsey Museum and Cultural Centre – IMAGinE awards event attendance
- Mid North Coast Maritime Museum – IMAGinE Awards and the Regional Stake holders Forum attendance
- Tenterfield & District Historical Society – Royal Australian Historical Society Regional Conference attendance
- Wollondilly Heritage Centre – Newcastle TAFE for Cert IV Museum Practice course
- Yamba Museum – Connecting with the History Curriculum workshop hosting costs
- Yamba Museum – IMAGinE Awards event attendance
- Yeoval Historical Museum – MOSAiC database training