Yarkuwa Indigenous Knowledge Centre is a traditional owner organisation based in the towns of Deniliquin and Balranald in the Riverina region of NSW. Yarkuwa was formed in 2003, in part, to ensure traditional owner knowledge was preserved for further generations.
The aims of the organisation are:
– To collate and maintain cultural, heritage and environment information as it relates to the Wamba Wamba and Perrepa Perrepa country
– To provide an educational service to the wider community including schools and community groups
– To engage in negotiations with Local, State, Federal and other agencies on matters relating to culture, heritage and the environment
– To provide the means for members to develop skills that will allow them to be involved in the provision of educational and research services; and provide a centre to facilitate the transfer of knowledge from one generation to the next
– To acquire and hold title to land and water for the purposes of economic and cultural development.