These cute cows were handmade from wax and cow hide by members of the Thomas family from Shellharbour. The Thomas family first came to the area to work for Henry Osborne at Marshall Mount in the 1830s.
These beautiful stone points were made and used by Aboriginal people in the Illawarra. Tongarra Museum has a good collection of Aboriginal cultural material which will remain in our care until a purpose built Aboriginal Interpretive Centre is built at Shellharbour.
This mangle was owned and used by the Couch family on their farm 'Wairanga' at Yellow Rock. Mrs Couch would run wet clothes through the mangle on set washing days.
'Warrilla' butter wrappers and milk dipper
'Warrilla' brand Butter was locally made at the Illawarra Cooperative Central Dairy Factory at Albion Park Rail from 1956. The Illawarra Co-operative Central Dairy Factory was built in 1899 beside the railway line at Albion Park Rail on land provided by George Laurence Fuller. Two steam engines drove the machinery and the refrigerating plant. Pasteurization was introduced in 1903 and by 1905 the company was delivering milk to Sydney in hermetically sealed tanks. The butter making section was upgraded in 1925 and in 1935 a new milk section was opened. The company continued to improve and in 1956 marketed the "Warrilla" brand of butter. The factory closed in 1985.
Augustus Milton East war diary
Augustus Milton East was killed in action May 1918 in France during World War One.
He was the son of Alfred and Kate East of Shellharbour. Tongarra Museum has a wonderful collection of A M East war diaries and letters sent home to his family.
This child's boot was handmade by Mr Mantell c.1900
George McDonald's schoolbag
George was the third generation of McDonalds to live at Marshall Mount House. His great-grandfather purchased the property from the Osborne family in 1896. George contributed much to the local community and a great supporter of our museum.
Handmade Red Ensign flag
This handmade flag was flown on the passenger launch 'Lady Albion' that sailed around Lake Illawarra in the 1920s. Mr Orange had great plans to turn the areas around the lake into a tourist destination and built a guesthouse 'Illawarra House' on the lake foreshore. He ferried his guests around the lake in the 'Lady Albion' launch.
Funky steam iron. We have a good collection of old irons from the area. Those poor women would have had to use their muscles. Thank goodness for electricity!
James Muir Auld painting
Artists James Muir Auld spent some time in Shellharbour painting local landscapes in teh 1920s. This work is of St Paul's Church of England at Shellharbour Village and was painted in 1925. It was donated to us by the James family of Dunmore.
This butter roller was used at the Illawarra Cooperative Central Dairy Factory. The factory was built beside the railway line at Albion Park Rail in 1899 on land provided by G L Fuller. Two steam engines drove the machinery and the refrigerating plant. Pasteurization was introduced in 1903 and by 1905 the Company was delivering milk to Sydney in hermetically sealed tanks. The butter making section was upgraded in 1925 and in 1935 a new milk section was opened. The Company continued to improve and in 1956 marketed the "Warrilla" brand of butter. The factory closed in 1985.
Our museum has a great collection of old Bakelite radios from the area.
We have a great collection of ladies camisoles at the museum.
This teapot was owned and used by Elizabeth Slusher of Albion Park.
Straw boater hat
Boater hats were all the rage in the 1920s. This one was worn by a little girl.
This telescope was used at Cooby farm at Yellow Rock by members of the Ball family. The family used the telescope to check for ships coming into the harbour at Shellharbour.
Town Clerks wig
This wig is made from horse hair and was worn by the Town Clerk of Shellharbour Municipality.
This tape measure was owned by William Thomas. William and his wife Sarah came to the area from Kent, England in 1838 to work for Henry Osborne at his Marshall Mount Estate. William was a carpenter.
Shellharbour City Museum (formerly Tongarra Museum) is Shellharbour’s local history museum. We aim to share stories, past and present, of the people, places and events that make our great city what it is today.
Visit our museum to discover more about the history of Shellharbour through changing exhibitions of Aboriginal and European culture. Our collection includes artefacts, photographs, oral histories, maps, lithographs and historic documents that relate to Shellharbour City and its people.
Museum staff and volunteers provide assistance with research and local & family history. Our resources include publications, valuation books, cemetery records, building registers, conservation reports and a selection of historical maps to help your research.
Download our free touring app ‘Tread Shellharbour’ on your Apple or Android device