Online Workshop: Capturing Memories: Oral History In The Digital Age
17 Jun 2023.
Oral History NSW presents a practical workshop for those interested in recording the experiences of family, friends, local communities, history of museum items or any other project incorporating memories of the past.
This online workshop will equip you to undertake your own oral history interviews. The presenters will be Shirleene Robinson, an experienced oral historian, and Andrew Host, whose 43 years of experience as a sound engineer can help you get quality recordings that will stand the test of time.
• introduction to oral history and the nature and reliability of memory
• preparing and structuring an oral history interview
• ethical issues, ownership, copyright and appropriate documentation
• choosing and using a digital recorder
• processing the interview – preparing a summary log
• interview transcription, aided by free downloadable software
• saving sound files, storage and preservation
This workshop builds on the OHA Oral History Handbook available for purchase from Oral History Australia.
Saturday, 17 June 2023
Workshop commences online: 9.45 am
Workshop concludes: approximately 4.45 pm
Online via Zoom – meeting link and details will be sent a few days before the workshop.
This will be a small and interactive session – attendees should bring a good pair of earphones, and use a computer with a camera and microphone in order to fully participate.
Please note the workshop will not be recorded.
$70 — non-members
$50 — Oral History NSW, RAHS and Oral History Australia members
$90 — attend the workshop and become a new member of Oral History NSW.Find out more