Sketchley Pioneer Cottage and Museum
Sketchley Cottage is the only known example of an 1840s colonial building in the Port Stephens Shire.
Sketchley Cottage is a rare timber slab colonial farm house, built about 1850 on the Doribank Estate east of the Williams River, near the present New Line Road. From the late 1850’s to 1970 it was the family home of William Sketchley (1810-1884) and his descendants.
A native of Leicestershire, William Sketchley became a weaver who could read & write, but in 1830 aged 19 was transported for seven years for stealing. Despite this, Sketchley would became a landholder of 85 acres. Originally a one roomed house Sketchley Cottage was enlarged and added to as the family grew. Ten of his children survived.
There is a blacksmith shop used for demonstrations and displays of hand made tools, an early timber jinker, a 1930 Massey Ferguson tractor, and other agricultural equipment.
The cottage houses a collection of handmade underwear, clothing and bed linen and is run by the Raymond Terrace and District Historical Society.
Raymond Terrace & District Historical Society Inc.
The Museum has a range of books associated with the Raymond Terrace area.
Raymond Terrace Library
Contact & Visit
1 Sketchley Street
Entry to local residents of the Raymond Terrace area is free if visitors from outside the local area accompany them on their visit
10:00 am to 4:00 pm
Open the fourth Sunday of every month except during January