There’s been a lot of talk about the exciting Margaret Olley Arts Centre development currently transforming the Tweed Regional Gallery. Less discussed is the fact that the Tweed Shire Council, with the support of the Murwillumbah Historical Society, has another cultural facility development to crow about: the soon to be completed restoration and expansion of the Tweed Regional Museum.
The new addition meets best-practice museum construction and provides substantial new display space and a significantly increased capacity to cater for visitors.
Construction of a new addition and refurbishment of the existing 1915 heritage building are on schedule for completion in February 2014. The new addition meets best-practice museum construction and provides substantial new display space and a significantly increased capacity to cater for visitors.
Since the museum closed to the public in December 2011, a team of museum staff and more than 14 regular volunteers have spent in excess of 4000 hours carefully recording, photographing and packing the collection. As a result, more than 5000 items had been catalogued by October 2012. Work continues as items are transferred to the purpose-built storage facility, ready for future display.
The purpose-built storage facility in South Murwillumbah was completed just over a year ago and is intended to provide long-term storage for the museum collection, to better protect these pieces and allow greater flexibility with displays at the museum.