• Hourly Rate: $28.80 on normal working days, Sunday rates $34.56, Public Holiday rates $57.61 (plus 9.5% superannuation)
• Audience Engagement division
• Reports to Visitor Experience Manager
• Date reviewed April 2019.
Overview of the Gallery Host position
The role of Gallery Host contributes greatly to the experience of visitors to the MCA. The role welcomes all visitors and guests to the Museum and ensures the safety of both artworks and visitors. A Gallery Host enriches the experience of our visitors by providing professional service in a friendly and welcoming manner.
Gallery Hosts are the first point of contact for visitors to the Museum. The role provides assistance to MCA visitors and guests regarding cloaking, exhibitions, programs, events, activities and facilities within the Museum.
Gallery Hosts wear a unifying garment that identifies them as gallery staff. The position involves standing for periods of time within the gallery and interacting with the general public – it is a mobile, active role. When working at the Front of House, Gallery Hosts cloak visitor garments and bags, and provide information regarding exhibitions and programs, and may assist with administrative work.
Tasks and responsibilities of the position
Interacting with visitors
• Welcome all visitors and guests, inform them of current and future exhibitions and education programs
• Support the MCA in delivering high quality visitor experiences by maintaining outstanding customer service at all times
• Provide information and informed interpretation of the Museum’s exhibitions, public engagement programs and events
• Provide appropriate assistance to visitors with specific needs
• Assist in the operation of public programs, activities and events
• Invigilation of gallery ensuring security of artworks
• Liaise with group leaders, including school teachers, to facilitate smooth and enjoyable visit for groups
• Effectively handle visitor and guest complaints, including receiving and recording visitor feedback
• Cloaking items at Front of House
• Ensure a safe, comfortable and clean environment for all visitors and guests
• Ensure security and crowd control in public spaces
• Report maintenance and cleaning issues promptly and conduct regular checks of all public areas
• Promote safe working practices
• Follow evacuation procedures in the event of an emergency and assist visitors
• Maintain well stocked and tidy supplies of MCA brochures and other relevant collateral
• Develop solutions to problems with work procedures in consultation with other staff or supervisors as appropriate
• Ensure that you have sufficient supervision, instruction and equipment to undertake your work safely
General requirements of all MCA employees
We require that all of our employees:
• demonstrate support for innovation and for organisational changes required to improve the MCA’s effectiveness
• work cooperatively with others to produce innovative solutions and recognise the merits of diverse perspectives and the ideas of others
• demonstrate commitment to, and knowledge of, the principles and application of equal employment opportunities and anti-discrimination legislation in the work place
• work in accordance with the principles of equity, access and fairness. Respect WHS work practices and procedures; work with due care and consideration to safeguard your own health and safety and the health and safety of others.
Key selection criteria
Applicants must be able to demonstrate they have:
• 2 to 3 years proven experience in a customer service role
• well-developed communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to deal effectively and courteously with visitors
• an awareness of cultural sensitivities
• ability to undertake tasks with limited supervision
• interest in or knowledge of contemporary art
• understanding of security issues with regards to artwork and safety of people and comfortable directing others in emergency situations
• basic computer skills in Microsoft Office including Excel and Outlook
• must have a good level of physical fitness (the position involves being on your feet during your shift)
• a demonstrated commitment to the Museum’s objective of promoting the work of living artists and making contemporary art accessible to broad audiences through the imaginative and creative presentation of exhibitions and programs on contemporary visual culture
• a demonstrated commitment to the principles and application of Equal Employment Opportunities, Anti-discrimination legislation and Workplace Health and Safety legislation in the work place
It would be good if applicants have:
• previous experience working in a gallery/cultural or visitor attraction sector
• comfortable with public speaking
• experience working with people from a broad range of other cultures
• proficiency in a language other than English
• senior First Aid Certificate
• tertiary qualification in fine art or museum studies
• knowledge or awareness of time based media and new technologies
The MCA is looking for people who work well within a team and have a genuine desire to provide excellent customer service. They are punctual, reliable and have good interpersonal skills. Appointed person is a positive ambassador for the MCA and prides themselves on personal presentation. They will be required to familiarise themselves with all MCA exhibitions, and be happy to support visitors and colleagues to explore ideas and meanings in the art on display. They will be respective, courteous and cooperative in all dealings with visitors, peers and supervisors. The person is self-motivated and able to perform work with minimal supervision; has the ability to resolve differences and conflicts and be open to change within the organisation.
Terms and conditions of employment
This is a casual position reporting to the Visitor Experience Manager. Hours vary depending on weekly business needs.
• normal working days: $28.80
• Sundays: $34.56
• public holidays: $57.61
• superannuation: 9.50% super payments (in accordance with the Superannuation Guarantee (Administration) Act 1992).
Please visit our website via https://www.mca.com.au/about-us/work-for-us/galley-host-position-description/ to view the full position description and for details on how to apply.
9am Friday 26 April 2019
Working for the MCA
The MCA is committed to equal opportunity and diversity. The MCA promotes a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment, and where individuals are treated with fairness, equality and dignity.