About the opportunity
At Blacktown Arts, we walk alongside our First Nations Elders, knowledge holders, and broader communities of artists, partners and collaborators in our shared vision of creative and cultural experiences being part of everyone’s daily lives. A deep sense of culture, place and people sits at the heart of everything we do.
This is an exciting opportunity with Blacktown Arts on a term contract, full-time basis for up to 24 months. The Curator develops and leads a diverse, contemporary visual arts program of creative and cultural experiences that provides opportunities for local artist development, community engagement and audience development in collaboration with the Coordinator Programming and the programming team.
This role and associated position description has been mirrored from the permanent, full-time Curator and Collection Manager role that is currently occupied within Blacktown Arts. Over the next 24-months, the incumbent Curator and Collection Manager will focus their attention on the Blacktown City Art Collection, while the incoming Curator will focus on the visual arts program.
Qualifications and experience
- Tertiary qualifications appropriate to the role
- Suitable curatorial experience in contemporary art
- Previous experience in art collection management
- Demonstrated capacity to work productively with artists and communities from a range of cultural backgrounds within a local government framework
- Demonstrated ability to develop and manage budgets
- Demonstrated negotiation, interpersonal, problem solving and communication skills
- Demonstrated computer literacy, especially in Microsoft Office suite
- Proven capacity to work in a high-pressure team environment with competing demands
- Demonstrated commitment to excellent customer service
- Current class C driver’s licence.
- Knowledge of contemporary collection management practices
- Knowledge of the visual arts sector in Western Sydney.
Find out more
You might also be interested in:
Senior Curator, Contemporary Australian Art
This job is with the Art Gallery of NSW and closes on 27 September 2023.
This job is with the Foundation and Friends of the Botanic Gardens with no current closing date - suitable candidates will be interviewed after application submitted.