- Join a team of inspirational, talented people to undertake high-quality conservation
- Exciting opportunity to be an Assistant Conservator at Ultimo location
- 3 x Temporary roles (up to June 2021) with favourable work life balance.
The Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences (MAAS) is an executive agency of the New South Wales State Government. Embodying the best of design ingenuity and innovation, the Museum profiles one of the world’s great collections and is a highly successful interdisciplinary institution that sits at the intersection of the arts, design, science and technology and plays a critical role in supporting the brand and vision of the city.
The Powerhouse Precinct at Parramatta is one of the largest cultural infrastructure projects currently being undertaken in Australia. The project will transform and renew one of Australia’s oldest and most important cultural institutions and carry forward its legacy to reflect the changing needs of the contemporary communities of NSW
Do work that matters…
As a part of our Collection Relocation project, you will be working on the preparation of the collection currently stored at Ultimo for digitisation and relocation to the museum discovery centre.
Key highlights of the role:
- Examine objects in the Museum’s collection to determine their condition and maintain detailed documentation of their condition
- Design and construct suitable support for objects on display and in storage, in collaboration with other conservators
- Assess conservation and preservation needs, participate in optimal preventive conservation activities and procedures
- Prepare and pack objects for travel to storage areas, exhibition locations and outside institutions
- Assist with ensuring the safety, security, location control and maintenance of objects on display and in storage
What will it take?
We are looking for someone to join the team with the following attributes:
- HSC or equivalent certification
- Driver licence is required or a willingness to obtain one
- Basic knowledge of chemistry and laboratory procedures
- An applied knowledge of standard handling, care, storage, packing and crating and installation procedures is essential
- Demonstrated understanding of risk management and disaster preparedness
- Sound written and verbal communication skills