Merriwa Colonial Museum
Merriwa Colonial Cottage Museum presents a collection of items sourced mainly from local residents.
The Cottage was built in 1857 from sandstone quarried up the road and pushed down on timber slabs. It served as a series of banking businesses until the 1950s when it became a private residence. The original building consisted of four rooms, a cellar area and a separate kitchen at the rear of the building, since removed.
Merriwa is located on the Golden Highway mid way between Newcastle and Dubbo with easy access from Mudgee and Tamworth directions. Established as a town in 1843 it has had a history of sheep production, followed by wheat and other crops. Today most of the farming is cattle.
In addition to the collection there is a family research service.
Contact & Visit
(02) 6548 2673
General admission by donation.
Call Bryan Baker (02) 65485000 for bookings.
9:30 am to 1:30 pm
9:30 am to 12:30 pm