Photo: courtesy of Don Dennes (Flacko man) via Flickr. 2010
Flash Jonny’s piece.
Eugowra Historical Museum and Bushranger Centre, 2010. Photo: courtesy of Don Dennes (Flacko man) via Flickr.
Photo: courtesy of John Fernie (1908 - 1998), via Flickr
The Eugowra Museum and Bushranger Centre was opened by Cabonne Council Mayor John Farr on the 25 – 26 October 2003. And a new extension has recently been completed but is not yet open.
This building was formerly a stock and station agent’s shop, but with government grants, gifts and lots of volunteer labour, it was refurbished into a great little building holding a huge variety of antiques and old wares from Eugowra’s past.
Robert Ellis first started the museum years before at his home in Norton Street, and this was subsequently run by Hilton and Jean Clements, grandchildren of Hanbury Clements, pioneer of the town of Eugowra and of Escort Rock fame.
Much of Robert’s collection was given to the Museum, when the Eugowra Promotion and Progress Association (EPPA) undertook to operate it.
Eugowra’s claim to fame in most Australian history books is as the place where bushrangers held up the gold escort coach on 15 June, 1862, on its way to Bathurst. This turned out to be very worthwhile for the gang, who got away with fourteen thousand pounds worth of gold and banknotes. It was the biggest gold robbery in Australia’s history and in today’s money would be worth about $8 million.
The Museum also has a significant collection of wartime memorabilia and war souvenirs, and a comprehensive catalogue of Eugowra Service Personnel.
The Museum is short of volunteers at some times.
The Museum is always open Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays 11am till 4pm and on all other days by prior arrangement. Coach groups are very welcome but please phone in advance: Contact Elaine 6859 2820 or Judy 6859 2218.