Eryldene was the home of scholar and aesthete Professor E G Waterhouse, and his wife, Janet. House and garden layout were designed by colonial revivalist architect, Hardy Wilson in 1913 and the place is the result of twenty years remarkable collaboration between client and architect.
The whole place is an object of greatest significance. It comprises house and garden, oriental teahouse, garden study, temple, pigeon house, walled fountain, toolshed; garden furnishings and plant material; furniture, art works and artifacts from China, Japan, Europe and Australia.
Eryldene was a cultural centre in Sydney 1920s – 1950s. It is particular to the wide ranging cultural, artistic, linguistic, horticultural and international interests of Waterhouse, and typical of suburban life in the first half of the 20th century where self sufficiency, frugality and scholastic achievement were encouraged in the four Waterhouse boys. It provides tangible evidence of many stories relevant to Australia’s history.
In 1979 the Eryldene Trust was established to purchase Eryldene and to conserve, manage and present it for public education and enjoyment. In that time it has received no ongoing funding from any government or other organization and depends for its upkeep and daily management on donations, funds raised through events and government grants for capital works. It is open on the second weekend of every month between April and September, when the camellias are at their best, and is available for booked tours at all other times.