About the roles
This is an exciting opportunity to join the Australian Museum and help make their collections accessible to the world. You will provide technical support to the Museum’s Collection Enhancement Project, working closely with collection staff, barcoding staff and the EMu database and DigiVol teams, to digitise the AM’s collections. These positions will be particularly focused on working with fragile specimens and specimens preserved in hazardous chemicals from the Entomology, Marine Invertebrates, and Malacology collections. These roles will require the registration of objects within the Museums database and the photography of objects using specialised photographic equipment.
We are seeking Technical Officers with demonstrated knowledge and experience in the appropriate handling of one or more of the following taxonomic groups (entomology, marine invertebrates, or malacology) in a museum setting.
You will have demonstrated:
- a knowledge in the appropriate handling one or more of the following taxonomic groups (entomology, marine invertebrates, or malacology) in a museum setting
- a capacity to support the Collection Managers in the maintenance and curation of the collection including the ability to handle fragile specimens/objects and labels and experience in, or willingness to handle chemicals, including ethanol and formalin according to WH&S procedures.
- experience in working with collection database systems.
- experience in imaging (i.e., taking high quality photographs) of collection specimens/objects.
- basic knowledge and understanding of the application of WH&S legislation and regulations.
- TAFE qualifications or equivalent training in a relevant field, or equivalent experience in working with natural science collections.
You might also be interested in:
Rights and Licensing Coordinator
This job is with the Art Gallery of NSW and closes on 30 June 2022.
Marketing and Communications Manager
This job is with the National Trust (NSW) and closes on 17 July 2022.