Security Officer, Security Control Room
OVERVIEW OF THE ROLE
Reporting to the Assistant Manager Security the Security Officer provides an efficient and effective security service which protects:
- the National Gallery’s works of art
- ensures the safety and service needs of visitors and staff
- seeks to enhance visitor experience; and
- supports the objectives and strategies identified in the National Gallery’s Corporate Plan.
As weekend and shift work is expected with this role, excluding overtime, weekend and public holiday penalty rates, nightshift & evening allowances apply.
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE
Our ideal candidate is a certified security officer who has an understanding of security control room operations, including basic knowledge of electronic and physical security systems. You will have a good understanding of protective security, particularly as it relates to a cultural institution environment.
Working collaboratively with others is important you demonstrated through your desire to work as part of a team to provide excellent customer service with an ability to remain calm in potentially stressful circumstances. You have good administrative skills and follow processes with a commitment to continued development.
You should have good written and verbal communication skills and be able to work well in a team. You have a commitment to the ongoing development of your skills and knowledge and participating in team building activities. You will have a level of fitness required for the duties of this position which you maintain along with a high standard of dress and personal presentation with a willingness and ability to undertake shift work that may require overtime, night shift and weekend work.
WHAT WILL YOU DO
In accordance with APS 2 work level standards, you will:
- Assist in providing the security and safety of visitors, staff, buildings and the National Gallery assets including the works of art.
- Operate, monitor and assist in ensuring the ongoing effective operation of the National Gallery’s electronic security systems, (including alarm systems, closed circuit television, access control system, fire systems and the radio network).
- Participate in risk management procedures for maintenance of security hardware/equipment and monitor and report on the effectiveness of associated maintenance programs.
- Control and monitor access/egress of staff, visitors, vehicles and contractors.
- Participate in the National Gallery’s information/incident reporting service by providing oral and written reports as appropriate.
- Perform duties as first point of contact for many NGA visitors at Security Control Room and perform these duties in a professional manner.
- Participate in, and be prepared to take charge of, the National Gallery’s emergency evacuation procedures and contribute to disaster prevention and recovery strategies.
- Perform duties as Chief Fire Warden and First Aid duties as required.
- Assist NGA Security management by supervising on site contract guards, and performance of tasks as required.
You might also be interested in:
Visitor Experience Coordinator
This job is with the National Trust of Australia (NSW) and closes on 5 June 2022.