The Sydney Jewish Museum is looking for a full time Registrar to join its Curatorial Department. This person will be responsible for managing the Museum’s new acquisitions, ensuring proper ongoing care of collections, and undertaking digitisation of the collection.
About the Sydney Jewish Museum:
The Sydney Jewish Museum is an institution that collects and preserves historic objects, commemorates and educates. The Museum collects and conserves original memorabilia related to the Holocaust, Judaica and Australian Jewish history to make these available for display and research for generations to come. Our collection drives our exhibitions, research and education programs.
The Museum’s permanent exhibitions trace the history of Judaism, the persecution of Jewish people, their migration to Australia and service in the military, and have more recently expanded to cover human rights issues affecting Australia. Using artefacts, interactive technologies and testimonies, history is given a voice within the Museum’s walls.
Required qualifications and experience:
– Postgraduate degree, or equivalent, in Museum Studies or Archives Management together with a minimum 2 years’ experience in the functions of registration and collections management
– Demonstrated ability and high level of skill in the various processes involved in documenting historical material
– Experience with Collection Management Systems (Preferably ADLib)
– Highly developed computer literacy and experience with multi media
– Knowledge of current professional museum standards in the care and handling of objects and preventive conservation
– Sound organisational skills and attention to detail essential
– The ability to work in a small team and supervise and train museum volunteers and interns in registration procedures
– Some knowledge of modern history, the Holocaust, Judaism and Australian Jewish history would be preferable
To request a detailed position description, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (02) 9360 7999.
To apply, send a cover letter together with a CV to email@example.com. Applications close Wednesday 8 May 2019.