Museum Manager, Macquarie University History Museum
An exciting opportunity for an experienced Museum Manager to manage the collections and operations of the Macquarie University History Museum and its activities.
• Salary Package: From – $107,404 – $119,510 p.a. (HEW Level 8) plus 17% employer’s superannuation and annual leave loading.
• Appointment Type: Full time, continuing role.
• Macquarie University (North Ryde) location
• Given current Australian Government COVID-19 border restrictions applications for this position are only being accepted from Australian citizens or permanent residents or people currently residing in Australia with full working rights.
The Museum Manager is a fundamental role in managing the collections and operations of the Macquarie University History Museum and its activities. This dynamic role is responsible for the design, development and implementation of exhibition programs that showcase the Museum and enable access and exploration of collections through permanent and temporary exhibitions, publications, public events and educational programs. Under direction from the Museum Director, you will implement and ensure collections management and maintenance guidelines and practices are followed that are consistent with the University’s policy and procedures and are ethical and sustainable.
You will be an experienced and confident practitioner within the Australian museum landscape with a highly developed knowledge of collection management practices and systems and multi-disciplinary collaborations. You will thrive on supporting the design, development and implementation of exhibition and education programs, publications and events that showcase the Macquarie University History Museum campus wide. You will provide advice to academic staff, students and other stakeholders on museum equipment, technology, and artefacts to meet the strategic objectives of the museum. Ultimately the successful applicant will be an excellent communicator with a proactive nature and thrive on collaboration with Macquarie staff and key stakeholders to help develop, deliver and support multi-disciplinary programs and collaborations.
Established in 2020, the new Macquarie University History Museum brings together unique collections of artefacts and archives from five continents over more than 5,000 years, enabling teachers, students, researchers and visitors to encounter many aspects of the human condition. The Museum provides leadership and services to foster collaborative research and publications with national and international partners, engage students through participatory learning experiences and enable access and exploration of collections through permanent and temporary as well as virtual exhibitions, publications, public events and educational programs.
Macquarie is a university engaged with the real and often complex problems and opportunities that define our lives. Since our foundation 55 years ago, we have aspired to be a different type of university. Over the years, we’ve grown to become the centre of a vibrant local and global community
To be considered for this position, please apply online by submitting your CV and a cover letter that demonstrates how you meet each of the following selection criteria:
- Tertiary qualifications in History and/or Education or Museum studies.
- Demonstrated experience in the Australian museum landscape with a successful track record of managing exhibitions or events within time and budget constraints with minimal direction.
- Proven ability in designing and delivering multi-disciplinary collaborations and educational and outreach programs.
- Ability to work collaboratively and cooperatively with internal and external stakeholders and support the Museum Director in supervising a team of staff and volunteers as required.
- High level of written and presentation skills and experience with writing publishable articles and assisting with editorial work.
- Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Office skills with a demonstrated ability using collection management systems.
You might also be interested in:
Front of House: Retail and Operations Assistant
This job is with the Museum of Fire and closes on 25 April 2021.
Assistant Curator/Gallery Assistant
This job is with the National Trust of Australia (NSW) and closes on 21 April 2021.