Merchandise & Administration Assistant, MCA Store
• Full-time, permanent position
• Salary package: $59,383 per annum (includes base salary $54,231 + 9.5% employer’s contribution to superannuation)
• Development and Enterprises Division
• Reports to the MCA Store Manager
Overview of the position
The MCA’s vision is to take a leadership role in shaping a creative and equitable Australia that values contemporary art and artists, and we are committed to making contemporary art accessible and inspiring for everyone.
The Merchandise and Administration Assistant reports to the MCA Store Manager and works alongside the Store Assistant Manager and Retail Assistants. The role is responsible for supporting the manager and assistant manager in all facets of store operations and administration to maximise revenue, promote the Store and realise organisational objectives.
The Merchandise and Administration Assistant works closely with the MCA Store team to deliver the highest customer service through both the onsite and online store. The role ensures the Store and MCA are consistently on brand.
The Merchandise and Administration Assistant helps to oversee the daily operations of the MCA Store and where necessary supervises retail assistants to ensure consistently exceptional customer service standards. The role is responsible for inventory management and maintaining accurate stock listings. In addition, the Merchandise and Administration Assistant supports the Store Manager and Assistant Manager with administration duties and ensures the smooth running of the store in their absence.
The role works alongside the Assistant Manager to support the online store, including upholding customer service standards for our online customers, processing online orders and maintaining stock listings to ensure accurate online listings.
Tasks and responsibilities of the position
Administration and inventory management
• The accurate and timely processing of inventory into the POS system. Including unpacking deliveries, processing invoices, replenishment ordering, and supplier returns.
• Ensuring stock levels in-store are maintained and excess stock is stored in a safe, accessible, and organised manner.
• Data entry and creating accurate product descriptions online with MCA Store data entry standards and naming conventions.
• Upholding stocktake integrity and ensuring stock holdings are accurate.
• General administrative support for the MCA Store as directed by the Store Manager.
• Maintenance of POS inventory records.
• Administrative support to the store manager and assistant manager as directed.
• Processing online orders.
• Maintain customer service standards for online customers.
• Upload and maintain accurate product listings to MCA Store online.
• Occasional product photography for online listings.
• Review and maintain stock listings and overall presentation of the online store.
• Assisting with the supervision of retail staff to ensure procedures are followed, KPIs met and staff are providing excellent customer service.
• Working in the store as needed to ensure staffing levels are maintained in line with seasonal needs.
• Monitoring customer behaviour to minimise shrinkage and maintain stock security.
• Assist with in-store displays to ensure that visual merchandising meets store standards.
Key selection criteria
Applicants must be able to demonstrate they have:
• at least 2 years’ experience in an administrative / retail administration role
• experience in museum/gallery, book, fashion, homewares, or design retail environment
• high attention to detail and excellent communication skills
• a proven ability to deliver outstanding customer service
• a solid understanding of retail management principles including inventory management
• experience in operating a computerised point of sale systems, cash handling and reconciliation
• a proven capacity to work in a busy retail environment and the ability to prioritise workloads and manage conflicting deadlines
• the ability to work well within a small team, and autonomously as needed.
It would be good if applicants have:
• demonstrated interest and knowledge of contemporary art, design, fashion, and popular culture
• experience of supervising casual staff in a retail environment
• a demonstrated passion for museum and cultural retail
• experience in online sales fulfilment and online store administration
• experience with visual merchandising in a retail environment
• previous experience in an arts or non-for-profit organisation or experience within the arts sector.
Please visit the MCA website to view the full position description and for information on how to apply.
The MCA encourages applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with disability, and people from diverse cultures. The MCA acknowledges the enormous contribution Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists, staff, educators, arts professionals and guests have made to the fabric of the museum since its inception. Contemporary Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander art practice has long been central to MCA collection and exhibition programs.
You might also be interested in:
Collections and Stories Project Officer
We are currently seeking a Project Officer to assist us in delivering the next phase of the Collections and Stories Project. Applications close on 28 June 2021.
Assistant Gallery Director/Senior Curator
This job is with Mosman Art Gallery and closes on 15 June 2021.