Head of Digital
Powerhouse Museum Grade 11/12
The Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences sits at the intersection of the arts, design, science and
technology and plays a critical role in engaging communities with contemporary ideas and issues.
Established in 1881, the museum includes Powerhouse Ultimo, Sydney Observatory, the Museums
Discovery Centre in Castle Hill and will expand to include the museum’s new flagship – Powerhouse
Parramatta. The Museum is custodian to over half a million objects of national and international
significance and is considered one of the finest and most diverse collections in Australia.
The Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences is undertaking landmark renewal program which
includes the creation of Powerhouse Parramatta, the largest cultural infrastructure project since the
Sydney Opera House; the expansion of Museum’s Discovery Centre, Castle Hill which includes
expanded storage and new research and public facilities, the renewal of the iconic Powerhouse
Museum in Ultimo and digitisation of the Powerhouse collection
Primary purpose of the role
The Head of Digital will lead the conception, planning and delivery of an ambitious and expansive
digital strategy that engages audiences with the renewal of the Powerhouse, its infrastructure,
programs, exhibitions and research. The role will provide creative and strategic leadership to the
Powerhouse Digital team and is accountable for the ongoing development of Powerhouse Digital
programs, platforms and digital experiences.
The Head of Digital is responsible for developing and incorporating new digital platforms and
programs across new and renewed sites, transforming ways of working, developing new audiences
and work at the front end of new technologies and cultural practices. The role will embed
experimentation and innovation across the Powerhouse to increase our responsiveness to new
- Lead and manage the performance of the Powerhouse Digital team to meet programming,
operational and renewal requirements.
- Conceptualise, develop and deliver digital content the supports and contributes to the
- Create exceptional content strategies across all digital media, continuous product development
and upholding best practices for design and accessibility.
- Collaborate across the Powerhouse and externally to develop exceptional digital storytelling.
- Manage the creative development of innovative digital content and resources to support
exhibitions, programs and events.
- Manage resource and collaborator planning for digital content and platform programs and
- Develop digital partnerships to build new audiences and communities.
- Expand digital engagement with cultural diverse audiences
- Develop and implement digital strategies to promote the Powerhouse program.
- Work closely with the Powerhouse marketing and communications teams to implement tactical
plans and online campaigns to grow Powerhouse audiences and increase engagement and
- Contribute to the content strategy for digital marketing and social media.
- Analyse data from digital platforms and produces qualitative reports to provide insights into
- Manage and facilitate the development and delivery of priorities outlined in the Powerhouse
Strategy. Track, review and report on progress internally and externally.
- Build and maintain strong internal and external working relationships
- Drive efficiencies in process and ways of working across all activities undertaken by the digital
You might also be interested in:
Gallery Associate – Sales and Engagement
This job is with Edwina Corlette Gallery and closes on 1 July 2022.