Gardener/Maintenance Officer – Samaurez Homestead
Gardener/Maintenance Officer – Saumarez Homestead
National Trust of Australia (NSW)
Title: Gardener/Maintenance Officer
Location: Saumarez Homestead, Armidale NSW
Employment Type: Casual
Hours of Work: up to 15hrs per week
Reporting to: Facilities Manager
Salary Hourly rate: $28/hr plus super
The National Trust NSW is the State’s largest community based conservation organisation. It operates a number of important museums and leased historic properties while also looking after a large collection of objects and archaeological artefacts. The Trust is committed to providing educational and cultural services that enhance public knowledge and protect our State’s special places.
This role is located at Saumarez Homestead, a place of great heritage significance and natural beauty set in 2 hectares of English style gardens, towering centenarian trees, a cottage garden and a heritage rose garden.
About the role
The Gardener/Maintenance Officer is responsible for general maintenance of the grounds and house which includes, but is not limited to: mowing and general gardening duties, maintenance of minor house repairs, cleaning of amenities, rubbish removal and general handyperson work to ensure the smooth running and overall presentation of the property.
They will also work closely with the Facilities manager, Visitor Experience Coordinator and gardening volunteers and assist with set up and bump out of events/ venue hire activities as required.
This is a casual position for up to 15 hours per week, which may include some weekend hours from time to time. The days of working will depend on property activities and a high degree of flexibility is essential.
We’re looking for someone with a sunny and positive disposition who is physically fit and able to undertake a range of manual tasks. As you will be working closely with our wonderful volunteers, an ability to train or share your knowledge with them is also essential.
As this is a multifaceted role that touches upon all aspects of the Property, you need to be organised with a desire to achieve your goals and an ability to turn your hand to a number of practical tasks.
Technically you need:
- Relevant qualifications in building maintenance or landscaping or extensive experience within these industries
- Accredited herbicide users training (Chemical Certification AQF3) or willingness to be trained
- Mechanical aptitude and ability to use and maintain tools such as a brush cutter or backpack sprayers
- Excellent time management skills and an ability to constantly re-prioritise tasks to ensure completion within required timeframes
- Current First Aid Certificate (or willingness to gain)
- Class C driver’s license
- An understanding of and commitment to the National Trust’s aims, objectives and workplace values.
You will be involved in the day-to-day business of maintaining a historic house with a large garden and a number of out buildings, so can expect to be busy. There is a manual handling component to this role so whilst we welcome mature candidates, you must have a degree of fitness to be able to undertake your expected duties to the standard required.
If you love working outdoors and have a passion for the environment or the protection of heritage, this is the role for you. You must be fully vaccinated and have the right to live and work in Australia to apply for this job.
- For a full position description or any enquiries call: 02 9258 0159 or email email@example.com
- To apply, submit your CV together with a covering letter addressing the key accountabilities to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Closing date: Sunday 29 January 2023 : Immediate start available
You might also be interested in:
This job is with the Museum of Contemporary Art Australia and closes on 8 February 2023.
Assistant Editor (Publications & Digital)
This job is with the Museum of Contemporary Art Australia and closes on 13 February 2023.
Museum Coordinator – Bathurst Rail Museum/Chifley Home
This job is with Museums Bathurst, Bathurst Regional Council and closes on 12 February 2023.