Casual position – role will start in October for scheduled training and run until mid-February 2020
• Hourly rate: $28.80 on normal working days, Sunday rates $34.56, public holiday rates $57.61 (plus 9.5% superannuation)
• Audience Engagement Division
• Reports to the Visitor Experience Manager
• Date reviewed April 2019
We are now accepting video applications!
Overview of the position
We are appointing a number of additional Gallery Hosts (casual contracts) to work during the MCA’s upcoming exhibition of acclaimed British artist Cornelia Parker, presented as part of the 2019–2020 Sydney International Art Series. The exhibition runs from 8 November 2019 until 16 February 2020.
Gallery Hosts are the first point of contact for visitors to the Museum. They welcome all visitors to the Museum and ensures the safety of both the artworks and visitors. Gallery Hosts enrich our visitors’ experience by providing professional service in a friendly and welcoming manner. They offer a cloaking service, and provide information on our exhibitions, programs, events, activities and facilities.
Gallery Hosts are identifiable by their uniform – a ‘smart casual’ look reflecting the approachability and professionalism of a Host. The position involves being on your feet for periods of time within the gallery and approaching people to engage in conversation – it is a mobile, active role.
When working at the Front of House, Gallery Hosts cloak visitor garments and bags, and provide information regarding exhibitions and programs, and may assist with administrative work.
We expect that Gallery Hosts are able to offer a reasonable amount of regular availability each week and ask that you have at least three days’ availability, which includes offering availability on Saturday and Sunday. For this recruitment, we are especially looking for Gallery Hosts who are available Wednesday evenings and Saturdays.
Tasks and responsibilities of the position
Interacting with visitors
• Welcome all visitors and guests, inform them of current and future exhibitions and education programs.
• Invigilate the gallery, ensuring security of the artworks while maintaining a warm rapport with visitors.
• Support the MCA in delivering high-quality visitor experiences by maintaining outstanding customer service at all times.
• Provide information and informed interpretation of the Museum’s exhibitions, public engagement programs and events.
• Provide appropriate assistance to visitors with specific needs.
• Assist in the operation of public programs, activities and events.
• Liaise with group leaders, including school teachers, to facilitate smooth and enjoyable visits for groups.
• Effectively handle visitor and guest complaints, including receiving and recording visitor feedback.
• Cloaking items at Front of House.
• Ensure a safe, comfortable and clean environment for all visitors and guests.
• Ensure security and crowd control in public spaces.
• Report maintenance and cleaning issues promptly and conduct regular checks of all public areas.
• Promote safe working practices.
• Follow evacuation procedures in the event of an emergency and assist visitors.
• Maintain well-stocked and tidy supplies of MCA brochures and other relevant collateral.
• Develop solutions to problems with work procedures in consultation with other staff or supervisors as appropriate.
• Ensure that you have sufficient supervision, instruction and equipment to undertake your work safely.
• Attend training as required.
General requirements of all MCA employees
We require that all of our employees:
• Demonstrate support for innovation and for organisational changes required to improve the MCA’s effectiveness.
• Work cooperatively with others to produce innovative solutions and recognise the merits of diverse perspectives and the ideas of others.
• Demonstrate commitment to, and knowledge of, the principles and application of equal employment opportunities and anti-discrimination legislation in the workplace
• Work in accordance with the principles of equity, access and fairness. Respect WHS work practices and procedures; work with due care and consideration to safeguard your own health and safety and the health and safety of others.
Key selection criteria
Applicants must be able to demonstrate they have:
• 2 to 3 years proven experience in a customer service role
• well-developed communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to deal effectively and courteously with visitors
• an awareness of cultural sensitivities
• an ability to undertake tasks with limited supervision
• an interest in or knowledge of contemporary art
• an understanding of security issues with regards to artwork and safety of people and comfortable directing others in emergency situations
• basic computer skills in Microsoft Office including Excel and Outlook
• a good level of physical fitness (the position involves being on your feet during your shift)
• a commitment to the Museum’s objective of promoting the work of living artists and making contemporary art accessible to broad audiences through the imaginative and creative presentation of exhibitions and programs on contemporary visual culture
• a demonstrated commitment to the MCA values.
It would be good if applicants have:
• previous experience working in a gallery/cultural or visitor attraction sector
• a level of comfort with public speaking
• experience working with people from a broad range of other cultures
• proficiency in a language other than English
• a senior First Aid Certificate
• a tertiary qualification in fine art or museum studies
• knowledge or awareness of time-based media and new technologies.
Terms and conditions of employment
This is a casual position reporting to the Visitor Experience Manager. Hours vary depending on weekly business needs. The Museum is open seven days from 10am – 5pm with late nights on Wednesday to 9pm.
We expect that Gallery Hosts are able to offer a reasonable amount of regular availability each week and ask that you have at least three days’ availability, which includes offering availability on Saturday and Sunday.
• normal working days: $28.80 per hour
• Sundays: $34.56 per hour
• public holidays: $57.61 per hour
• superannuation: 9.50% super payments (in accordance with the Superannuation Guarantee (Administration) Act 1992).
Please visit the MCA website to view the full position description and for details on how to apply.