Duty Manager – Old Government House and Experiment Farm Cottage
• Location: Parramatta and Harris Park
• Job Type: Part-time for 21 hours per week which includes the weekend plus 1 day during the week
• Sectors : Arts, Culture, Heritage
• Reports to: Property Manager, Western Sydney Region
The National Trust is the largest community based, not-for-profit conservation organisation in Australia, operating for more than 70 years. Our vision is to bring the heritage of New South Wales to life for future generations.
This role has weekend oversight of two highly significant historic museum properties in the Western Sydney region; Old Government House (World Heritage Listed as part of the Australian Convict Sites serial listing) and Experiment Farm Cottage (on the site of Australia’s first land grant and State Heritage Listed).
We’re looking for an energetic team leader with a track record of delivering high quality, visitor-centric customer service to manage the daily visitor activities and work with our wonderful team of volunteers on the weekend to create an experience for our visitors which is both welcoming and enables them to get the most out of their visit.
You would be expected to work 3 out of 4 weekends per month plus one day during the week, to be agreed. The week day of working may vary depending on property activities so a high degree of flexibility is essential.
About the Role
Reporting directly to the Property Manager, you will be responsible for:
• Overseeing and managing the daily operations of Old Government House and Experiment Farm Cottage including admissions, reception, bookings and house security processes, when the property is open.
• Coordinating visitor activities on site including tours and events
• Managing response to incidents as they arise on duty days
• Coordinating volunteer rosters to ensure both properties are adequately resourced on those days
• Leading and motivating the volunteers working onsite, either as guides, front of house or event facilitators to deliver an exceptional visitor experience.
• You’ve led a team of customer-focused staff and volunteers before and can train, lead and motivate them to perform at their best.
• You will be flexible enough to deal with the myriad of things that comes with operating a historic property that is open to the public, including acting as the point of contact and coordination for venue hires on site, in consultation with the Property Manager.
• Ideally you will have qualifications in Cultural Tourism, Museum Studies or other relevant discipline, with hands on experience in working with communities, tourism or the cultural sector.
• You have excellent communication, customer service and team work skills, including the ability to conduct guided tours, if required.
• You know how to manage your time effectively and understand the value in engaging a diverse workforce.
We’re looking for someone who truly believes in customer service, can run the daily activities of the property like clockwork and knows the value of teamwork. We offer a flexible work environment and value the highest levels of professionalism.
You must be fully vaccinated and have the right to live and work in Australia to apply for this job.
For a full position description or any enquiries call: 02 9258 0159 or email email@example.com
To apply, submit your CV together with a covering letter addressing the key accountabilities and qualifications to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 8 December 2021Find out more
You might also be interested in:
Creative Learning Manager
This job is with the Ngununggula, Retford Park, Southern Highlands Regional Gallery and closes on 6 December 2021.
Membership Administration Officer
This job is with The National Gallery of Australia and closes on 2 December 2021.