Curatorial/Gallery Assistant – Norman Lindsay Gallery
Curatorial/Gallery Assistant; Norman Lindsay Gallery
• Location: Norman Lindsay Gallery, Faulconbridge NSW
• Job Type: Perm Part-time; 21 hours/week
• Sectors: Arts, Culture, Heritage
• Reports to: Property/Gallery Manager, Norman Lindsay Gallery
• Salary Package: $64.6k FTE – pro rata for PT hrs
The National Trust is the largest community based, not-for-profit conservation organisation in Australia, operating for more than 70 years. Our vision is to bring the heritage of New South Wales to life for future generations.
Located in Faulconbridge in the Blue Mountains, the Norman Lindsay Gallery is situated in the house once occupied by the famous Australian artist Norman Lindsay. Set in sprawling gardens that wrap around the homestead, the Gallery, grounds and etching studio showcase his many paintings and sculptures depicting Bohemianism and Arcadian pantheism.
In liaison with the Property/Gallery Manager, the Curatorial/Gallery Assistant will ensure the exhibition and events program for the Norman Lindsay Gallery continues the ongoing interpretation of the work of Norman Lindsay. They will also coordinate and provide a range of administrative, maintenance, technical and WHS support services for the Property and coordinate the activities of the volunteers.
The primary priorities of the role comprise:
- Assisting the Property/Gallery Manager with exhibition and event programming
- Managing the installation, presentation and care of the art works during each exhibition
- Overseeing and supporting the volunteers to effectively provide front of house, guiding, collection and gardening services to the property.
About the Role
Reporting directly to the Property/Gallery Manager, you will be responsible for:
- Assisting the Manager with exhibition and event planning and programming, including liaison with key stakeholders, coordination of loans and talent, bookings and installation and de-installation of exhibitions
- Maintaining the Gallery exhibition space, Etching studio, exhibitions preparations area and monitoring environmental conditions
- Understanding the background of each exhibition and history of the Gallery and other buildings onsite to assist with public enquiries
- Prepare preliminary exhibition reports
- Undertaking exhibition research and development
- Monitoring the condition of the Collection and assisting the Manager with any grant applications as required
Administration and Front of House
- Ensuring the efficient running of the gallery in respect of volunteer staffing, financial reporting and record keeping, presentation, security and provision of quality Front of House services to Trust Members and the general public
- Coordinating, managing and developing the volunteer program, ensuring all volunteers are inducted, trained, rostered and supported, including training front of house staff in sales
- Undertaking a range of administrative duties including cataloguing, file management, stocktaking, pricing and shop display
Events and Venue Hire
- In liaison with the Manager, assisting in the development and delivery of a number of key events and/or
educational programs that enhances the public engagement with the property
You’ve worked in a gallery before in a similar curatorial role and are familiar with the operational demands of a regional art and/or a museum property. You are a great communicator who enjoys leading and motivating a team of volunteers and are nimble enough to negotiate through some of the limitations that come from working with a Not for Profit organisation.
We offer a flexible work environment and value the highest levels of professionalism.
You must have the right to live and work in Australia to apply for this job. For a full position description or any enquiries call: 02 9258 0159 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply, submit your CV together with a covering letter addressing the key accountabilities to: email@example.com
Closing date: Sunday 29 January 2023. Immediate start available if required.
You might also be interested in:
Front of House Retail Sales Assistant
This job is with the Museum of Fire and closes on 3 February 2023.