Collections Officer, Collection Digitisation Project
We are looking for a passionate and collaborative Collections Officer, Collection Digitisation Project who is interested in joining a leading NSW Government agency focused on creating a living future for the past so that our visitors can experience Sydney’s past as if they had lived it themselves.
What the opportunity is:
- Employment with Sydney Living Museums, NSW Department of Premier & Cabinet
- Assistant Registrar Grade 2 – $97, 423. Package includes salary ($78, 736 – $87, 493), employer’s contribution to superannuation and annual leave loading (full-time equivalent).
- Temporary part-time employment 21 hours per week (for a period up to March 2022).
- The role will be based at The Mint in Sydney’s CBD but will also be required to work across other locations as directed.
What you’ll do with us
Sydney Living Museums (SLM) is rolling out a series of exciting initiatives designed to increase public access to and engagement with its diverse collections. SLM’s Collections and Access unit will play a key role in the planning and delivery of these initiatives and seeks to appoint four experienced collections management professionals. We seek highly motivated team players who are committed to the principles of public access and to providing high quality collections management services for projects and core business.
This role will contribute to SLM’s Collection Digitisation Project according to professional museum standards and NSW regulatory requirements, including all aspects of collection management, documentation and cataloguing, processing, access, storage, movement and transport of objects
What the essential requirements of the role are:
- Extensive knowledge and experience working in a museum environment with demonstrated practice in collection management processes and documentation.
- Experience working with collections management databases such as Vernon and other software applications used to maintain and update collection information.
- Experience and knowledge of appropriate techniques/ procedures for handling, assessment, transportation and storage of museum objects at a professional museum level including understanding of risk management and disaster preparedness.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to prepare high quality documentation and reports, and collaborate with team members and key stakeholders.
- Ability to manage lifting, carrying, standing, kneeling and moving around heritage sites, both internal and external environments is a genuine occupational requirement.
- Knowledge of decorative arts or domestic design history or Australian social and cultural history.
- Current NSW driver’s licence.
You might also be interested in:
Collections Officer, Digital Assets
This job is with Sydney Living Museums and closes on 2 August 2021.
Gallery Assistants (Casual)
This job is with Ngununggula | Retford Park Southern Highlands Regional Gallery and closes on 6 August 2021.