Collections and Stories Project Officer
Want to direct your passion for important objects and stories toward working with regional museums and galleries to digitise and enable 24/7 online access to their collections? If so, then come and work with Museums & Galleries of NSW (M&G NSW) to deliver the next phase of the Collections and Stories Project, funded by Create NSW’s Regional Cultural Fund.
The Collections and Stories Project will design and make live a curated website to highlight and share the importance and value of regional collections with new and diverse audiences. This phase of the project will work with six regional partners through a hub and spoke model of community-based collaboration. If you have good research and writing skills, care about the collections held and cared for by regional museums and galleries, including those that are volunteer run, we are keen to hear from you.
As the successful Collections and Stories Project Officer you will co-ordinate with the Project Manager to work across all facets of the Project. You will assist in informing the redesign of the Collections and Stories website, along with its story-telling templates. You will liaise with hubs and spokes to give support to various on-ground digitisation processes, such as meeting digitisation standards outlined in M&G NSW’s Crystal Clear guideline; and identifying and co-ordinating the development of website content, including managing image files received from hubs and spokes and documenting and checking copyright clearances for website content with hubs. You will assist to edit object stories and other copy before these ‘go live’ on the Collections and Stories website, as well as input a Strategic Plan and outcomes measurement framework for the Collections and Stories website.
About Museums & Galleries of NSW
M&G NSW works with museums, galleries and Aboriginal cultural centres throughout NSW to create exciting and inspiring experiences for visitors and strong, thriving local communities. We develop their skills, connect them with others in the industry, provide funding, point visitors their way, and give them access to ground-breaking exhibitions.
Our focus is the 500+ small to medium sized organisations in NSW that have the passion to inspire their communities and visitors through art, artefacts, stories and ideas, but do not always have the means to realise their potential. With 66% of museums, galleries and cultural centres located outside of metro areas, we also want to help more people discover the many cultural gems NSW has to offer.
Core Skills and Experience
- Highly developed research and editing experience
- Experience in managing, or providing high level support within complex projects
- High level verbal and written communication skills
- Understanding of, and commitment to, the small museum sector
- High level ability across various tech platforms
- Experience of collection management systems
- Understanding of copyright and licence agreements
- Ability to work to tight deadlines, problem solve and resolve conflict constructively
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse stakeholder group, as well as in a self-directed manner
- Ability to work across a range of stakeholder expertise and resources
Conditions of Employment
4 days a week on a fixed term contract from July 2021 to November 2022
An hourly rate of $43.75 + 9.5% employer superannuation contribution + annual leave loading.
4 weeks annual leave
10 days sick leave
The option to work remotely, including from regional NSW
Observe M&G NSW Code of Conduct
HOW TO APPLY
Please download and read the position description.
To lodge your application, please email the following documents to email@example.com. by 12 noon, Monday 25 June 2021
- a cover letter addressing why you would like this position;
- a statement of no more than four pages that addresses how your skills, knowledge and experience demonstrate how you meet the requirements needed to perform the Project Officer role, listed in the Position Description.
- a CV that lists contact details for two referees
Applications close 12 noon, Monday 28 June 2021
You might also be interested in:
Merchandise & Administration Assistant, MCA Store
This job is with the Museum of Contemporary Art Australia and closes on 17 June 2021.