- Career-defining opportunity to work on a major relocation project
- Temporary full-time employment until December 2022
- Salary between $108,573 – $120,857 + superannuation + leave loading
The Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences sits at the intersection of the arts, design, science and technology and plays a critical role in engaging communities with contemporary ideas and issues. Established in 1879, the museum includes the Powerhouse Museum, Sydney Observatory and the Museums Discovery Centre. The Museum is custodian to over half a million objects of national and international significance and is considered one of the finest and most diverse collections in Australia.
In addition to special collections, you will manage a team of registrars who work collaboratively with the collection digitisation team to facilitate the movement of objects for digitisation.
Key highlights of the role:
Manage project teams to successfully deliver key project milestones
Define and lead the logistical management and movement of the Museum’s special collections or objects
Supervise and motivate staff, volunteers and interns to ensure a high level of collection management practice and a culture of optimal external and internal customer service.
Ensure appropriate compliance with work health and safety, risk management, collection preservation, collection incident response and asset management of collection stores and collection logistics projects.
In consultation with Head of Collections and Major Projects and other relevant stakeholders, lead the development of policy and procedures to support the delivery of Collection Relocation and Digitisation Project.
The Successful Candidate
- Extensive knowledge and experience in museum collection management and documentation.
- Experience in the handling, packing, transport and storage of all types of museum objects, to professional museum level
- Demonstrated ability to plan, schedule and manage projects, allied with excellent organisation skills and attention to detail.
- Knowledge and experience of collection information systems, barcoding and digitisation, including solution development and implementation.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to prepare high quality documentation and reports, and collaborate with team members and key stakeholders on complex projects in a multidisciplinary organisation.
- Experience in staff management, including training and WH&S issues.
- Demonstrated understanding of risk management and mitigation
- Relevant Degree or equivalent industry experience.
- Drivers License is essential