Collection and Stories – Storyteller roles
Want to direct your passion for important objects and stories toward working with regional museums and galleries to digitise and enable 24/7 online access to their collections? If so, then come and work with Museums & Galleries of NSW (M&G NSW) to deliver the next phase of the Collections and stories Project, funded by Create NSW’s Regional Cultural Fund.
The Collections and Stories Project will design and make live a curated website to highlight and share the importance and value of regional collections with new and diverse audiences. This phase of the project will work with six regional partners through a hub and spoke model of community-based collaboration. If you have good research and writing skills, or digital storytelling skills, care about the collections held and cared for by regional museums and galleries, including those that are volunteer run, we are keen to hear from you.
As one of four Collections and Stories Project Storytellers you will co-ordinate with the Project Manager, Project Officer and other Storytellers to write or develop (using audio or audio-visual media) object story narratives using regional collections. You will liaise with hubs and spokes to prepare your stories and exchange object or collection documentation. You will assist to edit object stories and other copy before these ‘go live’ on the Collections and Stories website, as well as input a Strategic Plan and outcomes measurement framework for the Collections and Stories website.
About Museums & Galleries of NSW
M&G NSW works with museums, galleries and Aboriginal cultural centres throughout NSW to create exciting and inspiring experiences for visitors and strong, thriving local communities. We develop their skills, connect them with others in the industry, provide funding, point visitors their way, and give them access to ground-breaking exhibitions.
Our focus is the 500+ small to medium sized organisations in NSW that have the passion to inspire their communities and visitors through art, artefacts, stories and ideas, but do not always have the means to realise their potential. With 66% of museums, galleries and cultural centres located outside of metro areas, we also want to help more people discover the many cultural gems NSW has to offer.
Core Skills and Experience
- Proven highly developed research experience, including locating, interpreting, and analysing primary and secondary source material/s or records
- Theoretical understanding of using and interpreting historic source material
- Theoretical understanding of storytelling and story-telling approaches, including post-colonial understandings and object stories
- High level writing skills, including for varied audiences
- The digital Storyteller will have proven digital storytelling skills
- Highly developed editing skills.
- Understanding of and commitment to the small museum and gallery sector
- High level technical ability across various tech platforms
- Understanding of copyright and licence agreements
- Ability to work to fixed deadlines
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse stakeholder group
Conditions of Employment
Fixed term contract – beginning in August 2021 and ending by December 2022
A fixed fee of $45, 000 (plus gst) to produce 200-225 stories of 150-200 words
The option to work remotely, including from regional NSW
Observe M&G NSW Code of Conduct
HOW TO APPLY
Please download and read the Position Description.
To lodge your application, please email the following as a single document to email@example.com:
- A cover letter addressing why you would like this position;
- A statement of no more than four pages that addresses how your skills, knowledge and experience demonstrate how you meet the requirements needed to perform the Storyteller role – listed at Skills and Abilities in the Position Description.
- A CV that lists contact details for two referees
- A story of between 150-200 words using an object of your choice selected from eHive https://ehive.com/ – please provide a link to the object with your story
Applications close 5 pm, Wednesday 4 August 2021
Image: ‘Remington No. 5’ typewriter made by E Remington & Sons 2021, Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, accessed 14 July 2021, <https://ma.as/214832>
You might also be interested in:
Museum Education and Public Programs Officer
This job is with the Museum of the Riverina, Wagga Wagga and closes on 27 September 2021.
Museum of Art Director
This job is with the Rockhampton Regional Council and closes on 4 October 2021.
Marketing and Communications Officer, Museums
This job is with the University of Sydney and closes on 4 October 2021.