Chief Operating Officer
The Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences sits at the intersection of art, design, science and technology and plays a critical role in engaging communities with contemporary ideas and issues. Established in 1881, the museum includes the Powerhouse Museum, Sydney Observatory, the Museums Discovery Centre and will expand to include Powerhouse Parramatta – the largest cultural infrastructure project currently being undertaken in Australia. The Museum is custodian to over half a million objects of national and international significance and is considered one of the finest and most diverse collections in Australia.
In this newly created role, the Chief Operating Officer will be responsible for leading the transformational change required to position the Powerhouse as a leading cultural institution through the implementation of creative and sustainable visitor experiences; attraction and retention of highly respected and renowned talent; and development and management of customer focused and continuous improvement strategies to successfully deliver the operations of the Museum including, sound financial management and reporting, strategic capital and project management, expanding our commercial capacity and future proofing our digital and technology frameworks.
To be successful in this role, you will have extensive experience within a public facing organisation in a similar senior leadership role. With an engaging and collaborative communication style you will have the ability to cultivate strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders including community and government. You will have a proven track record in leading transformational change to deliver organisational objectives within financial, governance and compliance requirements governing public sector entities.
Knowledge and experience
- Relevant tertiary qualifications, MBA preferred or 10+ years’ experience leading the operations of a major public facing organisation.
- Experience in leading cultural change and embedding continuous improvement mindsets for systemic change and collaboration.
- Strong understanding and experience with benchmarking visitor and customer service experiences.
- Track record of developing, navigating and sustaining effective working relationships and advocating across a variety of senior government, community and internal stakeholders.
- Experience in an executive role with responsibility for successfully delivering programs and projects within a context of tight timeframes and budgets.
You might also be interested in:
Merchandise & Administration Assistant, MCA Store
This job is with the Museum of Contemporary Art Australia and closes on 17 June 2021.