• Full-time, permanent position
• Salary package: $71,508 per annum (includes base salary $65,304 + 9.5% employer’s contribution to superannuation)
• Development & Enterprises Division
• Reports to the MCA Store Manager
• Roles that report to the Assistant Manager: Retail Assistants
• Date reviewed December 2019
Overview of the position
The position holder works alongside another full-time Assistant Manager and reports to the MCA Store Manager. The Assistant Managers are responsible for supporting the manager in all facets of store operations and administration to maximise revenue, promote the Store and realise organisational objectives.
The Assistant Managers work closely with the MCA Store Manager to deliver the highest customer service through both the MCA store and online store, as well as ensuing the Store and MCA are consistently on brand in their representation through social media channels.
The Assistant Managers oversee the daily operations of the MCA store and supervise staff to ensure consistently exceptional customer service standards. The roles are responsible for inventory management and maintaining accurate stock holdings. In addition, the Assistant Mangers support the Store Manager with administration duties and ensure the smooth running of the store in their absence.
As well as overseeing the MCA Store, the Assistant Managers are responsible for the online store, social media and providing content for marketing activities for the MCA Store, with guidance from the MCA Store Manager.
Both Assistant Mangers work together to deliver all tasks and responsibilities of the role.
Tasks and responsibilities of the position
• Supervision of retail staff to ensure staff are providing excellent customer service at all time.
• Providing direction to retail staff as needed to make sure delegated tasks are completed in a timely manner.
• Completing the store roster and ensuring staffing levels are maintained in line with seasonal needs.
• Providing training for the retail team members as needed making sure procedures are always followed and sales KPI’s are met.
• Development of systems and strategies to improve store efficacy and increase sales.
• Monitoring customer behaviour to minimise shrinkage and maintain stock security.
• Oversee and implement in-store displays to ensure that visual merchandising conforms to store standards.
• Managing and motivating retail team members to increase sales and efficiency.
• Support to the retail team as needed by assisting customers with retail purchases from the store product range.
Administration and inventory management
• The accurate and timely processing of inventory into the POS system including receiving invoices, replenishment ordering and inventory processing.
• Storeroom inventory management, including supplier returns.
• Stocktake integrity.
• General administrative support for the MCA Store as directed by the Store Manager.
• Reconciliation of daily banking and point of sale reporting.
• Maintenance of POS inventory records.
• Administrative support to the store manager.
• Source new suppliers and recommend new stock lines.
• Assist the Manager with bespoke merchandise development.
Online store & media
• Manage MCA Store online content and sales.
• Develop and implement the MCA Store social media calendar in tandem with the manager.
• Develop, manage and report on individual strategic marketing campaigns to drive physical and digital sales for the MCA Store and MCA Store online.
• Create content and distribute product EDMs for relevant media outlets & platforms.
• Implement the retail marketing strategies for seasonal retail events, e.g. school holidays, summer exhibition demand etc.
Key selection criteria
Applicants must be able to demonstrate they have:
• at least three years proven experience in a retail supervisory role (or management) in a boutique or museum retail environment. Candidates must have experience with either book, fashion, homewares or design retail environments
• a proven ability to deliver outstanding customer service with prior experience supervising, managing and motivating staff in a retail environment
• experience in operating a computerised point of sale systems, cash handling, reconciliation and inventory management
• proven capacity to work under pressure and prioritise workloads and manage conflicting deadlines
• experience with visual merchandising in a retail environment
• excellent presentation and superior communication skills
• experience with social media platforms (for business) and preparing EDM’s
• ability to work well within a small team, and autonomously as needed
• attention to detail and highly organised
• ability to work weekends, public holidays and late evenings as per opening hours.
It would be good if applicants have:
• demonstrated interest and knowledge of contemporary art, design, fashion, cult and popular culture
• a completed degree or currently studying for a degree in commerce, business or management; or TAFE retail certificate courses
• previous experience in an arts or non-for-profit organisation or experience within the arts sector.
Terms and conditions of employment
This is a full-time, permanent position reporting to the MCA Store Manager. Some work out of normal hours (9am – 5.30pm) will be required to cover the MCA Store roster as well as exhibitions, programs and events.
Salary package includes:
• annual leave: 4 weeks
• personal leave: 10 days
• superannuation: 9.50% super payments (in accordance with the Superannuation Guarantee (Administration) Act 1992).
The appointment will be conditional on an initial 3-month probationary period, which may also be extended (at the MCA’s discretion) for additional 3 months. Thereafter, termination by either party will require written notice of 4 weeks.
Please visit the MCA website to view the full position description and for details on how to apply.
Working for the MCA
The MCA is committed to equal opportunity and diversity. The MCA promotes a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment, and where individuals are treated with fairness, equality and dignity.