Administrative Gallery Assistant
Australian Galleries in Sydney is looking to add an Administrative Gallery Assistant to our gallery staff. This role provides administrative support to gallery operations and works closely with all gallery staff and the National Director. The Administrative Gallery Assistant will aid with exhibition documentation, maintaining works archives and the database, and a range of daily gallery tasks. This role is ideal for someone with strong administrative skills and who possesses an interest in the arts and/or creative and cultural sectors.
• Part-time, 2 days – Sunday and Monday
• Sydney location (Paddington Art Precinct)
• Salary range: $45,000 – $50,000 pro rata
• Applications close Friday 1 September 2023
Australian Galleries is considered to be one of Australia’s leading commercial art galleries. With locations across Melbourne and Sydney, the gallery has been in operation for over sixty years and during this time has enjoyed the privilege of promoting and encouraging a leading selection of contemporary Australian artists.
Duties will include, but are not limited to:
• Act as first point of contact for gallery visitors
• Directing all email, visitor and artist enquiries to the appropriate staff member;
• Database data entry and maintenance;
• Assisting Gallery management with exhibitions and other tasks, as required;
• Assisting with Australian Galleries communications and social media content;
• Adhoc administration duties as required, including maintaining office/gallery supplies and general Gallery presentation and organisation;
Skills and Experience:
• Previous experience in organisational or administrative roles;
• The ability to communicate confidently about artists and their works with gallery clients, artists, and other visitors;
• Highly organised, with the ability to multi-task and an exceptional attention for detail;
• The ability to work autonomously as well as part of a team;
• Strong computer literacy including experience with Microsoft office, WordPress, gallery database software or similar;
• Physically willing and able to assist with installation and de-installation of exhibitions (including use of ladders and the lifting and moving of artworks);
• Utilise proper art handling skills and have knowledge of artistic techniques and materials;
• An undergraduate or postgraduate degree in the arts is highly desirable;
• Previous experience within the arts, galleries/museums, art fairs is an asset
• Valid NSW Driver’s License.
If this role sounds like the right fit for you, a brief cover letter and copy of your CV can be emailed to Alexandra Hlynka, the Assistant Manager at: email@example.com referencing the job title in the email subject line.Find out more
You might also be interested in:
Marketing Manager (Parental leave cover)
This job is with the Art Gallery Society of NSW and closes on 25 September 2023.
Lead Programmer/Producer, Public Programs
This job is with the Museum of Contemporary Art and closes on 15 October 2023.