Full-time fixed term position to 30 Dec 2021
- Contribute to ensure a high level of collections management practice is maintained within culturally appropriate frameworks.
- Exciting temporary full-time opportunity to join the MAAS Project team
- Salary package up to $135,269. Package includes salary ($110,745 – $122,038), employer’s contribution to superannuation and annual leave loading.
The Powerhouse Precinct at Parramatta is one of the largest cultural infrastructure projects currently being undertaken in Australia. The project will transform and renew one of Australia’s oldest and most important cultural institutions and carry forward its legacy to reflect the changing needs of the contemporary communities of NSW
The MAAS Project is the relocation of the Powerhouse Museum and part of a wider government project for the creation of a new arts and cultural precinct in western Sydney. The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Collections Manager manages the planning, development, implementation and monitoring of procedures, recruitment and procurement for the care, documentation and logistics related to Indigenous Cultural and Intellectual Property in the Museum’s custody and care.
- In consultation with senior executives, manage the planning, processes and policy development related to Indigenous Cultural and Intellectual Property as part of the Collection Relocation and Logistics project and the broader museum vision.
- Coordinate the documentation, digitization, management and relocation of Indigenous cultural material in the Museum’s collection and care.
- Actively contribute to ensuring a culturally sensitive and safe workplace for staff, volunteers and interns working with the project.
- Supervise, manage and motivate staff, volunteers and interns to ensure a high level of collections management practice is maintained within culturally appropriate frameworks.
- Contribute to the development and management of project specific budgets.
- Ensure statutory, legislative and protocol requirements are adhered to and effective risk management procedures are in place.
- Develop and coordinate strong and positive engagement and liaison with Indigenous communities to build effective networks and working relationships for the benefit of MAAS and the Indigenous communities.
We are looking for someone to join the team with the following attributes:
- The role holder must be of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent
- A well-developed knowledge of Indigenous culture, community, issues and protocols
- An intimate understanding of the sensitivities around working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural material
- Well demonstrated knowledge and experience in museum collection management, including legislation and regulations as they apply to museum collections management, and risk
- Knowledge and experience of collections management systems.