- About Us
- Sector Development
- Consultants Register
- Contact Us
Sign up for the Alert!
M&G NSW weekly
The Standards Program was implemented by Museums & Galleries NSW in 2003 and in partnership with Museum & Gallery Services Queensland Inc. (M&GSQ) since 2005. Through a process of self review and external feedback, community organisations assess their practices and policies against minimum standards developed for public museums. The program aims to establish a long term network for sustainable community museums as well as acknowledging the hard work undertaken by volunteers and paid staff to maintain Australian heritage.
Since conception of the Standards Program in both NSW and Queensland, 102 museums and keeping places within 12 regions have participated. In NSW these regions include: Hunter (2003), Western Sydney (2004), Central West (2005), Northern Rivers (2006), Illawarra & Southern Highlands (2007), New England & North West (2008), Metropolitan Sydney (2009) and Orana/Dubbo region (2010). In Queensland these regions have included: Central East (2005), South East (2006) Far North Queensland (2007), Gold Coast Hinterland & Scenic Rim (2008), Southern Inland (2009), Dubbo Orana (2010), Far South Coast and the Monaro (2011) and Riverina (2012).
The 2013 Standards Program
This year the Standards Program will focus on the Albury / Hay Region.
Key program components include:
- Working with regional service providers to develop ongoing museum support
- Self-assessment by participants guided by minimum standards
- External peer review (Standards Review Committee – M&G NSW/ Advisory and Peer Review Committee – M&GSQ)
- Identification of desired outcomes and on-site advice
- Practical tools to assist Participants in addressing key planning needs such as volunteer succession planning strategies, community engagement strategies, collection management policies, access to funding, working with local government and, business and research opportunities
- Promotion of participants achievements: certificate presentation, communication with participant stakeholders
- Continuation of support and review
The Standards Community Directory is an annual publication that lists all museums that have taken part in the Standards Program.
Museums & Galleries NSW has contributed to the development of a set of National Standards for Australian museums and galleries. Collecting organisations of all kinds are invited to use the National Standards framework as a resource.
For further information and enquiries regarding the Standards Program please contact:
Museum Programs and Collections Coordinator
P: +612 9339 9913